Date: Sunday 14th November 2021 from 1pm to 4pm
Members/WAWU Members: $38 + Eventbrite processing fee
Non-members: $48 + Eventbrite processing fee
Blurb: The presentation of lifelike and interesting characters is one of the main joys of reading fiction, and readers of all genres can name their favourite characters in an instant. But what makes a character fresh and engaging, and how can writers identify and avoid stereotypical, one dimensional and unrealistic characterisation?
This workshop will demonstrate techniques to add depth, detail, and pathos to the stars of your stories. No matter what level of writing experience, participants will be able to enhance their character creation skills, creating greater equity and enjoyment for writers and readers alike.
Bio: Brooke Dunnell is a writer, mentor, competition judge, workshop facilitator, and the winner of the 2021 Fogarty Literary Award. Her short fiction has been published in a range of anthologies and journals, including New Australian Fiction 2021, The Big Issue fiction edition, Best Australian Stories, New Australian Stories 2, Westerly, Meanjin and Twice Not Shy: One hundred short short stories. Her collection Female(s and) Dogs was a finalist for the 2020 Carmel Bird Digital Literary Award and published as an e-book with Spineless Wonders. Brooke has a PhD in Creative Writing from the University of Western Australia.
Registrations open on 8 October and will close on Thursday, 11 November 2021, or earlier if the workshop is full.
We do have a waitlist in place if the workshop sells out.
Refunds: There are no refunds on PCWC workshops unless the workshop is cancelled due to either COVID-19 lockdowns or for other reasons.
Workshop Limit: 12 participants
Venue: Peter Cowan Writers Centre Inc, Edith Cowan House, Building 20, ECU Joondalup Campus, 270 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup. See: https://pcwc.org.au/pcwc-
Registrations & payments:
1. Go to the Eventbrite link: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/
2. Please click on the green tickets tab at the top right of the Eventbrite screen to purchase a registration for this workshop. On the next screen, change the number from 0 to 1 beside the Ticket Type you wish to purchase (Member or Non-Member). Then click on the red ‘checkout’ button at the bottom of the screen.
3. You can pay with a credit or debit card (Visa/Mastercard/American Express), or your Paypal account but only via the Eventbrite payment platform.
4. Please complete all fields marked with a red * including your name and email address, so you receive email confirmation of your registration/payment.
5. After entering your payment details, please complete your name and email address again. Click the red ‘Place your Order’ tab. You will receive an email from Eventbrite confirming your payment. Please check your SPAM or Junk folder if you do not receive the email.
Queries: PCWC, e: PeterCowanWritersCentre@