Date: Sunday, 11 July 2021
Time: 1:00 to 4:00 PM
We were all children once: good or bad, sad or happy, a sibling or an only child. Childhood experiences can be a valuable source of inspiration for a writer.
In this workshop for adults, we will explore the stories we tell ourselves and the stories that are told about us, and how we can use these recollections in a story or poem. We will consider the voice of the child and how to create an authentic-sounding voice in your writing.
The workshop will also explore point of view and how your choice of POV affects the narrative. For example, is the story best told from the point of view of a child with a child’s voice, or as flashbacks with an adult’s voice and appreciation/experience?
Please bring writing materials.
Target Audience: Adult writers over the age of 18, workshop limit of 12 participants
Cost: $38* PCWC & WA Writers United Members
$48* Non-members *plus a small Eventbrite processing fee
About the Facilitator
Daphne Milne writes short stories, flash fiction and prose poems which vary from the darkly humorous to the vaguely sinister. Her work has been published in magazines and anthologies including Aether and Ichor, Acumen, Sarasvati, and Mslexia. She has won or been commended in various competitions. Daphne is a Fellow at Katherine Susannah Prichard Writers’ Centre in 2021.
Venue: Peter Cowan Writers Centre, Edith Cowan House, Building 20, ECU Joondalup Campus, 270 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup. Please see the venue map HERE.
Registrations: Registrations open on 31 May and will close on Thursday, 8 July 2021, or sooner if the workshop is full.
PCWC uses the Eventbrite payment platform for registrations and payments. To pay, go to the PCWC Eventbrite page HERE to register and pay your workshop fee.
Note: there are no refunds on PCWC workshops unless the workshop is cancelled.
Please follow these instructions:
- You can pay your membership at Eventbrite with your credit card (Mastercard/Visa/American Express) or most bank debit cards with the Mastercard or Visa symbol. Eventbrite also offers an option to pay via your Paypal account but you must use the Eventbrite platform to pay via Paypal. PCWC do not accept direct payments from Paypal.
Note: there is a small Eventbrite processing fee for this service which Eventbrite retains.
- Go to the PCWC Eventbrite page HERE to register and pay your workshop fee. Registrations open 31 May.
- Once you are in Eventbrite on the PCWC page for the workshop, read the description, then click on the green tab on the top right-hand side of the screen marked ‘Tickets’.
- At the next screen, change the quantity from 0 to 1. Then click on the red ‘checkout’ button at the bottom of the screen.
- This will take you to a screen to complete your details. Please complete all fields marked with a red * (asterisk) including your name and current e-mail address, so you receive the Eventbrite confirmation of your payment.
- After entering your payment details, please complete your name and email address again. Click the red ‘Place your Order’ tab.
Make sure you record your Order/Ticket No (top of the next screen). It will also be on the e-mail confirmation you receive from Eventbrite. If you do not receive the confirmation e-mail, please check your Junk or SPAM folder.
- If you are unsure if your payment went through, please email PCWC at PeterCowanWritersCentre@outlook.com with your query as we also receive confirmation of your transaction.
The PCWC look forward to welcoming you to Edith Cowan House for the workshop.
Queries: Phone PCWC on mobile 0410 909 016 (leave a message, if unattended) or e: PeterCowanWritersCentre@outlook.com with the Subject: Workshop