Writers who are Australian residents are invited to submit short stories 600 words or less for this year’s competition. Entries must be unpublished works, not have won prior recognition and must not be under consideration elsewhere (competition or publication).
To enter the competition please follow the link below. Before entering, please make sure you read through all the information provided on this page.
The competition will open for entries on March 6’th
Attach your Entrant Details Form (word document) to your email. Click here to download the entry form.
Maximum 600 words per story (stories can be less than 600 words)
Open to all writers as well as separate categories below:
Youth (12-17 years)
Senior (Writers over the age of 60 years)
Novice (Writers who have never won or placed in a writing competition before)
Students who attend a Secondary Education Support Centre (student’s teachers
will send in their entries for them through the school)
1st prize $200 2nd prize $100 3rd prize $50
Senior Writer Award $100
Novice Writer Award $100
Secondary Education Support Centre Student Award $100
Julian Cowan Youth Award (12-17 years) $100 (donated by Diana Cowan)
Adult and Senior: One entry: $10 + Eventbrite fee*,
Youth and Secondary Education Support Student: $5 + Eventbrite fee*
Make sure your story has never been published (print, blogs and internet) has not won or been acknowledged in
any other competitions (awarded certificates or prizes) and is not under consideration for a competition or publication.
If you have never won a competition or been awarded a certificate in a competition you will be eligible for the Novice
Award. Your story must be 600 words or less. We are looking forward to reading your stories.
1. Make sure you DO NOT include your own name on your story/stories as it is a ‘blind’ judging.
2. Give each story a different PEN NAME (the pretend name you will use just for this story)
3. Use 12-point font (Arial, Times Roman)
4. Use double spacing
5. Indent the first line of each paragraph
6. Include your PEN NAME, the TITLE of the story and the WORD COUNT on the first page of the story.
7. Save each story/entry as a separate Word document or a pdf.
1. Have you paid your fee and entered the Eventbrite Receipt Number in your Entrant Details?
2. Does each story have a different PEN NAME?
3. Does your story have the PEN NAME and TITLE and WORD COUNT on the first page?
4. If you are 12-17 years old, have you typed YES next to the words Youth 12-17?
5. If you are a Senior (over 60 years of age) have you typed YES next to Senior 60+?
6. If you have never won or placed in a competition, have you typed YES next to Novice?
7. If you attend a Secondary Education Support Centre at your high school, have you typed YES next to
Secondary Education Support Centre Student?
8. Is your story 600 words or less?
Sending in your story and Entrant Details:
1. Attach your Entrant Details Form (word document) to your email. Click here to download the entry form.
2. Attach your story/stories to your email.
3. In the subject heading of your email type PC600SS Competition.
4. Send your email to PeterCowanWritersCentre@outlook.com
Friday, 14th April 2023 11:59 PM (AWST)